The year 2020 saw significant growth and evolution of ics cyber attacks with the precarious move to more remote operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are the top 10 most notable cyber attacks on industrial systems for 2020.
- All these attacks were reported on in the press – public incidents
- These are all the (credible) cyber attacks that had physical consequences in 2020
- All these attacks were targeted ransomware
- Downtime estimates are conservative – public reports generally do not contain exact downtime figures, but estimates such as “at least X plants for at least N days”
- Conservative estimate of average incident cost: 63 plant-days downtime
- Almost all attacks impacted multiple plants simultaneously – not surprising – the bad guys look to maximize their profits by overwhelming our incident response teams
- Many of these attacks impacted sites that had deployed significant levels of software-based defensive, monitoring, detection and response capabilities
Explore our website to learn how the most secure industrial sites in the world protect their networks with OT-grade unidirectional gateway cybersecurity.
Dig deeper - download the ebook here
- Capabilities vs Probabilities: Ask Different Questions & you get Different Answers | Episode #68 - September 20, 2021
- Maritime Systems: Incidents, Issues and What to do About Them | Episode #67 - September 5, 2021
- New survey: one in four Israeli companies have been hit by hackers in 2020 - August 24, 2021